President Dalia Grybauskaitė’s nationwide social campaign “For a Safe Lithuania”
What is the goal of the campaign?
Nearly 40 thousand reports of domestic violence were filed in 2015. A total of 19 thousand children live in socially at-risk families, 3 300 children are in care homes and every third child becomes a victim of bullying at school. Lithuania’s suicide rate is triple the EU average (30.7 per 100 000 inhabitants) and alcohol consumption is the highest in the European Union. There are many ways to help people going through tough times to build a safe life, to stop violence and bullying, to prevent suicides and reduce addictions, to encourage adoption and foster parenting. It is a matter to be addressed by the whole of society, not only by responsible authorities and non-governmental organisations.
The campaign brings together NGOs, local communities and municipalities, social workers, public institutions, education and cultural establishments, socially responsible businesses, the media, as well as famous and celebrated people to achieve real change in Lithuania. The campaign encourages everybody to reach out and make a difference to many lives.
We need to make a concerted effort:
- To raise public awareness and increase public involvement in prevention and response activities;
- To emphasize intolerance and to instill a sense of personal responsibility to combat violence and addictions;
- To promote adoption and foster parenting – children feel safe in a family, not in a care institution;
- To increase actual assistance to families at social risk;
- To mobilize society, NGOs and institutions for stronger partnership to reduce violence, bullying, addictions and suicides.
How can you contribute?
You can join active and socially concerned Lithuanian citizens who are already making a difference. Together we will work to stop bullying and violence, beat addictions, reduce social exclusion, as well as promote adoption and foster parenting.
- Share your stories of success to highlight inspirational good examples.
- Help to understand what is lacking in delivering help or involving the society.
- Engage individuals, communities and businesses willing to make an input – all eager to join and help those who need it the most (provide wholesome leisure and recreation, offer emotional counseling, improve social skills, etc.).
- In any other way – share your ideas on www.facebook.com/uzsaugialietuva or at #UžSaugiąLietuvą.